Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day One of Jireh Conference: Melissa

Yesterday was our first day doing the  youth conference at jireh. Our schedule each day is to sing a few songs, have a speaker, break into small groups, lunch, speaker again, followed by small groups and end with free time. Ryan opened us up as the first speaker and did an amazing job telling his testimony and how we can only know peace when we understand grace, how we are called to be holy because He is holy, how God will never leave us or forsake us, and many more powerful truths. Then it came time for the first small group and none of us knew what to expect. We knew that every student at Jireh has been abused or abandoned in some shape or form, and I personally did not think any of them would want to talk much or ask questions. Seven  girls were put in my group, Maggie, Fig Maggie, Gloria, Sarah, Meble, Yvonne, and Enid. It was pretty clear that they have never done anything like this, being put in a group for the sole purpose of talking about our lives and what we are learning. Surprisingly, it did not take long for them to start opening up and asking all kinds of questions, ranging from, how do we be holy? to, are there bananas in america? Needless to say, it was a wonderful start to small group sessions! Then it was time for the second speaker..my turn.. even thinking about it now makes me nervous because public speaking is definitely not at the top of my 'favorite things to do' list, but after getting up there and saying a little prayer for confidence and clarity, I was able to get through the message I had prepared, adding a little of this and taking out a little of that, with no problems! (Although I had to try extra hard to not cry when talking about heaven and how everything will be made right.) Small group after that went so well and it was such a sweet thing hearing what my girls learned from me and I am just so humbled to think that I am so unworthy but the Lord chose me to teach these precious girls about his love so they can understand the gospel. Needless to say, it was an awesome first day and I know that by the end of the week we will all know these students so well and I am so  very excited to see what Jesus does in their hearts while we are here. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! How precious! Made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! I'm so excited to read that it went well, and you know I'm going to want WAY more detail about this day when you get back! Love you so much, Mel!

    ReplyDelete